Friday 1 April 2011

The tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth

It's a good sign someone's had a rough week when they pick up the intercom for the front gate and try to make a phonecall on it.

The perplexed look on Nobby's face while he tried to work out where the number pad was so he could dial was absolutely priceless.

Bless him, but I am not surprised he's disorientated with trips to both London and Paris this week on top of Vienna and Eger last week. I am expecting to find the car keys in the fridge any day now.

But I needed a bit of a giggle after my own rough week - it looks like Poppet, Pickle and I will be taking up residence at the dentist's from now on. We popped in to get a check up on the infamous capped tooth yesterday evening and ended up embarking on root canal work because the tooth has died.

That poor girl will rue the day she ever tried contortionism within splatting distance of an immovable object.

I have to say, watching her getting pumped full of anaesthetic and the dentist boring a hole all the way up into the root of her tooth then calling me over to have a closer look hurt me just as much as it shook her up. I now have the task of keeping the hole clean by squirting Listerine up it twice a day and inserting a miniscule spring to spruce it up like I was getting the gunk out of the plug hole. SO happy about that.

Luckily, now she's over the shock, there isn't any actual pain and I am continually impressed how kids just take stuff on board and carry on. Following our 2 hour stint in the chair last night it was 8pm and we'd had no dinner having gone straight from school after Poppet's pottery club (she's gonna switch to ceramics and get to work on a new tooth now, hee hee!)

We spotted a MacDos on the way home and stopped in for the easy option and somehow Poppet polished off a McNuggets McMenu and a chocolate McDoughnut still with half her face numbed and a tube sticking out of the borehole in her tooth. I had to have a Big Mac just to get over it (well, that's my excuse.)

So now Poppet is the class celebrity having worked out she can freak out all her friends by showing them her pet borehole. Though she wasn't impressed by the class who played an April Fool on her class by stealing all their clothes while they were in a swimming lesson...

The rest of us guffawed of course, a classic prank, nice one.

I managed to avoid all April Fools and instead my own little brood became April Stars by performing 'The House That Jack Built' and 'The Mouse and the Lion' in assembly. I nearly exploded with pride. We repeated the show for all the mums at the end of the day and I definitely saw some moist eyes amongst the audience (when all the camcorders moved out the way.)

Anyway, at this moment Nobby's just popped out to get beer and there's curry on the way so I think, barring any mishaps, Friday night wind-down should be good. This week can only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment