Sunday 6 January 2008

Happy New Year!!

Well goodbye and good riddance to 2007, the year when my daughter broke her leg, my son got put on steroids and I found my first grey hair. Yes, call me Mrs Selfish but that last one was the final straw. Surely I am still too young? Surely being blonde should hide grey hair? WRONG. The little bugger was 3 times thicker than the rest of my hair and curly so it was actually sticking out at the side for all to see. What an insult; I always wanted curly hair.

Never mind, 2007 wasn't all bad. The kids learned to ski, I gave up the voluntary work and still persuaded Nobby to let me get a cleaner, we changed the jinxed Volvo and finally bought a dog. Not that the dog is always such a good friend - especially when I went into the playroom the other morning and found a steaming turd in the middle of the carpet. The entire ground floor of this house is tiled but when Tiggy gets caught short in the night she heads for the carpeted section upstairs. Thanks a bunch. Now I find I need a new carpet cleaner, my old Vax just won't shift the nasty stain. Who on earth puts cream carpets in a rental house?!

Anyway, I am fairly optimistic about 2008. After all, we will be moving on to pastures new at some point this year so I will be able to stop moaning about the French and start on some other culture instead. We just experienced a French New Year party this holiday season and I can tell you it was certainly different. I have never seen a meal strung out for 4 hours before, it was quite something, particularly when we effectively ended up having the main course and the pudding in different years! It was a far more civilised affair than a typical English do; we had drunken texts from several friends back home, one of whom was listening to his wife murdering 80's pop hits on the karaoke mike and figured his year could only get better...

Our Christmas holiday in England was equally lively. I hope Mum and Dad have managed to fix the hole I made in their Artex with the champagne cork. It just went off in my hand while I was holding it, honest guv (phnarr). My Mum surpassed herself with the Christmas fair, not only was it wonderful not having to shop for or cook any of the food but we had the full traditional spread that you just can't readily find this side of the Channel - christmas pud (there is no translation into French), parsnips (rarely sold here, they only grow them to feed the animals) and sprouts (hard to fathom why when Brussels is only round the corner!). Not to mention all the nibbles and naughty cakes that Waitrose has to offer. Yum. Big thanks to my Mum for a wonderful Christmas.

So here's to a great 2008 (ooh that rhymes). It's been a shaky start so far what with the poo incident, the boiler still being up the creek and Nobby trying to chop off his finger the other night - personally I think it was a rather drastic way of trying to get out of cooking the roast but I'll admit it did look pretty painful. But Torchwood is back on the telly and the kids are going back to school tomorrow so there's hope for improvement already.

No comments:

Post a Comment