Thursday 2 July 2009

computer trouble

Can I just point out that I can't reply to your comments at the moment due to a technical fault - I am not technical enough to work out what's wrong and it's not my fault.

For some reason this computer has a phobia of pop-ups, even though they are supposed to be allowed according to all my settings. There was a time when I was getting adverts appearing every time I clicked on anything and I think that may have put the poor dear off. These days computer not only says 'no' but regularly adds 'how very dare you!' and spits its little cyber-dummy out. And not just at me - every time Pickle surfs for new and exciting games on it the darned thing crashes and a blue screen appears.

Lately Pickle has been getting up earlier than me in the mornings and his first order of the day is to get on the DS and play the new Indiana Jones game he got for his birthday. After spending several hours on it yesterday and refusing to join us in the real world, even for meals, I hid the DS last night in a high cupboard in the kitchen. When I got up this morning, after my customary 4 snoozes - it is the school holidays after all - his bedroom door was shut and his bed was empty. I looked in all the usual places - in front of the telly, amongst the Lego, under the dog - and didn't find him so I came to switch on the computer.
It was already on.
With a sinister blue screen showing.
And a 'bugger off, I'm not playing' message from the hard drive on the screen.

The sneaky beast.

I resumed my search, following the scent of small boy to the little cubby space under his cabin bed. And there he was, playing Nintendo DS with the sound off.

'How did you get hold of that?' I asked. (We have guests at the moment but they were still in bed.)

'Mummy, you know I'm very good at climbing...' is all he said. Hmph.

Anyway, I am now going to try and coax this computer into behaving for me. I have disabled some driver it claims is causing the problem and now my display is ten times bigger than before; the computer clearly knows I am technically challenged and is now treating me as a decrepid, short sighted old duffer. How kind. I am going to flash it a bit of my sun-burn from our day in the pool yesterday (I am a-glow in a Belisha Beacon stylee and not in a good way) and see what that does for it's sodding screen.

This is cyber war, baby.

1 comment:

  1. Aha! I can comment on my own posts again! And Pickle wants me to tell you all that the busted computer this morning was absolutely nothing to do with him. He was quite emphatic and really put-out at being accused, bless him. So, being a big softy, I caved and believe him. Truth will out tomorrow I expect as I do not intend to match his customary 7am waking...

    ReplyDelete