Sunday 17 February 2008

Confession

I need to confess. I shaved my son’s head. Not deliberately, and not all of it, which of course makes it a lot worse. Let me explain.

Being a sad cheapskate I often trim his hair with the clippers in between trips to the barber and since he was looking rather more ‘Pixie’ than ‘Pickle’ this morning, with a growth resembling one of those 80’s rats tails down the back of his neck, I sat him down on the bathroom stool and told him to keep still. Bless him, he didn’t move. I, on the other hand, didn’t concentrate. I’d already done most of it, including the downy growth on the back of his neck with the bare clippers. I just wanted to tidy up the little bit by his right temple on a number 21. But although I checked it was set to the right length I failed to check I’d put the guard back on and 2 seconds later poor Pickle had a bald patch the size of a bus ticket on the side of his head. Oh, I feel so guilty. He was so sweet about it, he forgave me straight away and Poppet has been primed not to tease him. Not sure what awaits him at school though. Thankfully he always wears his little red woolly hat when he’s outside but I dread seeing the look on his teachers face tomorrow morning when he takes it off. I contemplated doing the other side to match, making him just a little bit punk for a couple of weeks but Nobby bravely talked me down, gently persuading me to put the clippers down and vacate the area. As he said, it could have been worse, I could have done it to him as he was next in the hot seat for a side-burn trim! He’s decided to do them himself this month. Very sensible in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment