Tuesday 23 March 2010

Kids eh?!

Well, Pickle didn't get the answer to his question but I imagine his teacher may be asking a similar question with a twist, as I had cause to do earlier today:

'why can't the kids do what I like during Science class?'

It was a Biology lesson about life cycles but it contained more tangents than a geometry masterclass. Sheesh. I remember doing it myself at school and I suppose I should just be grateful I'm not teaching them sex education: I recall very clearly the lesson when my friends and I decided to side-track Miss Nervous McBlush with the classic 'what's an orgasm?' Poor woman could have guided planes in to land with the glow on her face.

So I suppose the jump from talking about growing mustard seeds on damp cotton wool to carnivorous triffids stalking the earth and eating entire year groups was not so surprising after all. I must remember that it's not only me testing them. I am a mere trainee after all and putting me through my paces goes with the turf of performing as my second batch of guinea pigs.

Judging how well I control my own kids lately I think the Easter holidays can't come quick enough at the moment. Pickle wondered aloud this evening why I can't be like 'better mummies' who buy their boys i-phones and i-pods and other assorted gadgets without insisting that their offspring save their pocket money and contribute. He's been smarting for weeks after I refused to get him a hamster unless he contributed half the money. Then I pointed out the cost of a cage and estimated he'll need about a year to save up, in the hope that he would forget all about it and move on to the next fad. How wrong I was. Now I am dubbed substandard and I have to avoid my favourite shopping centre because he makes a bee-line for the pet store to check if 'his' hamster is still there.

Not so clever now am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment