Friday 15 July 2011

Babemouth 2

Yesterday I neglected to add Pickle's latest theory on the subject of Haribo sweets. We've had an excess supply of cola bottles since his birthday party and I have been popping a few in my handbag ever since as rewards (or 'sit down and shut up' incentives, depending on the occasion).

After happily munching through a few the other day and expressing bewilderment as to why I don't like them (yuck) he announced,
'I think Haribos are designed to teach children how to chew food. Because they take a LOT of chewing to eat them. And you need to chew your food otherwise you can get fat. So I think that's what Haribos are for. Mentos too.'

I love the way he's kind of half right and half wrong, and that he's taken on board my repeated lecturing about chewing and swallowing rather than shovelling and gulping in order to leave the table quicker. Bless.

He's clearly also picked up on some of my ongoing life goals after asking me,
'Mum, if you could have one thing thats not real come to life, what would it be?'
I ummed and erred for a bit then he said,
'I reckon you'd like it to be the dishwasher, then it could load and unload itself for you while you had a nice cup of tea.'

!!!!

He's been pontificating quite a bit this morning as well while he's played with Lucky Hamper the hamster, who is about to receive his own metal-lined, airline-approved rodent box and be transported back to the UK to live with my parents.

After a short game of Hide and Seek on the sofa - Pickle places Lucky on the sofa, closes his eyes and counts to 12 then cries 'coming ready or not!' as one fluffy rear end disappears under the cushions, technically it's more 'Hunt the Hamster' than Hide and Seek but they seemed to enjoy it - Pickle declares that Lucky is cute and adorable...

'...just like me really, Mum. Like boy, like hamster.'

Now there's no disagreeing with that.

He proceeded to weigh the little mite on my cooking scales just for interest, followed inevitably by every other object on the dining table. Lucky clocked all of 47 grams compared to a litre and a half of iced tea which weighed, funnily enough, a kilo and a half. We're learning maths already and it's not even 9am here.

He then re-wrote the song 'Hey Baby, Ooh, Ah' with the words

'Heeeeeeeeeey-ey-ey Lu-cky, Ooh, Ah,
I wanna know-ow-ow-ow, oh-oh-oh, if you'll be my hamster.'

Lucky responded with one of his Mission Impossible stunts, climbing up the side of his cage bars then swinging paw-over-paw across the top to give Pickles finger a lick.

That hamster is really going to be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment