Thursday 23 February 2012

Back on the blog

I have been inspired by Emily Carlisle who blogs her 'extreme parenting' on More Than Just A Mother. She could have nicked her last post straight out of my brain. So it's time for me to start making the effort to blog again, bringing you a glimpse of my view of the world and the delights of coping with repatriating a family that's been travelling for seven years.

Better watch the Nobby-bashing though. I've only been updating Facebook recently, which he doesn't subscribe to (both literally and conceptually: 'Its just gossip. I don't do gossip.') and he's unwittingly copped a load. For today I'll let Emily Carlisle do it for me.

So quick update since last blog roughly 4 months ago. We've moved house again - despite my endless clearing out and best efforts with a crowbar and a monkey wrench, we couldn't wedge anything else into the old place. So we packed it all up again and moved a mile up the road to somewhere bigger. Aren't we flash. We also buy a new car once the ashtrays are full. (!)

Yesterday I unpacked the last box which I guess means we are officially and terminally moved in. I just can't think where the last 6 months went. Or my bank balance. If anyone finds either of them can you pop them in the mail please?

Tiggy the dog has now developed arthritis and instigated our initiation into the world of UK vet bills and pet insurance, both of them being eye-wateringly costly though the latter will find whatever excuse it can not to pay out making it also fist-clenchingly annoying. Hopefully she'll only need one £550 x-ray.

But since we like chancing our luck we've added Bob and Eddie to the menagerie, just for sh*ts and giggles. And let me assure you, they produce a shedload of sh*t. At least with them being guinea pigs it's a lot simpler to scoop than Tiggy's. I'm still not sure why I caved to Poppets relentless pleading for more guinea pigs, given our appalling track record with the species, I hope I'm not going to regret this.

Dog and guineas met for the first time yesterday - luckily through metal bars or else I think there may have been carnage given how the dog went rigid and started quivering, much the same as when she spots a squirrel blithely hopping across the lawn. She's become obsessed with worldwide extermination of anything smaller, cuter and furrier than herself. (We still haven't had a squirrel pie yet but she put in a good chase after a rabbit the other day). I really hope I'm not going to regret this.

Pickle is now the proud owner of a shiny red electric guitar, with amp. If past experience is anything to go by, he will shortly announce his early retirement from super-stardom to concentrate on his Minecraft inventions, so I have taken pre-emptive action and engaged a home tutor so he can't 'forget' to go to the lessons. They were thumping out 'Wild Thing' by the end of their first jam last night and Pickle has declared his teacher 'cool' so I am optimistic.

I'm still housewifing, though I have been to a job interview thank you very much. Sadly unsuccessful. I think I blew it with Mrs Sock the sock-puppet which may have been too babyish for Year 4; I need to get with the vibe - British kids seem to be a whole lot more streetwise a whole lot younger compared to where I've been teaching. I've noticed some changes in my own kids. Pickle isn't so cuddly on school premises, preferring a nonchalant 'yo' as greeting rather than a fifty yard run up followed by a leap into a koala grip. And Poppet is developing an interest in boys... uh-oh.

Nobby is happy and just got promoted, hurrah! so our travels are well and truly over, hurrooh :( I took a wee jaunt over to Paris last weekend to catch up with Rose and Peony and see how many Frenchies I can offend with my rapidly declining language skills. Just to be different though, Rose and I were given a carafe of red wine by a French couple sitting next to us at our favourite sushi bar when they realised they couldn't finish it. Extraordinary. Later on I was witness to some blatant queue-jumping, classic body-shrugging and pointless road-rage so I soon felt at home again.

I'll leave you with a lovely picture of my final unpacking.



Average price of a VHS cassette when the Star Trek collection began: £14. Current value of all tapes, each containing 2 whole episodes of Start Trek: £0. Look on Nobby's face when he came home and saw it again after 3 years safely boxed up in the basement: priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment