Saturday 25 February 2012

Barbies and Borstal

Ah, Saturday at last. And a clear weekend with no running around for once. Lots of tea and pottering about is on the cards. Since its finally warm enough to stay outdoors without needing to be wrapped in more layers than a royal wedding cake.

Poppet has today presented me with two things. First a cough with accompanying fever, making her entry into the school singing contest next week rather questionable. But at least it meant I had to skip shopping today for which my bank manager will be grateful.

Secondly I now have 4 of her Barbies that she has dressed up in their best outfits. I am not sure why. During my relentless clearings out whilst we've been moving I've been trying to surreptitiously chuck out all things Barbie to try and reclaim the space under her bed. Actually, I've never really warmed to the collection of leggy, blonde party girls with gravity defying tits and a wardrobe to die for. I think Rose had the right idea all along when she banned them from her house. I'm not sure how I got sucked in to buying so many of them and decking them out with enough plastic furniture and accessories to rival ToysRUs. She managed to part with a few bits to a friend's little girl but there's still a veritable sorority house going on taking up two crates. Still, she's putting in good practice for her career in fashion design and we have named my new dollies Pandora, Florence, Titania and Amelia. They are currently having a girlie sleepover on my windowsill, watching the world go by.

Tiggy is also watching the world go by, and intermittently trying to chase it down and catch it. She is driving us mad at the moment, constantly creeping upstairs while we're not looking to lie on the bathroom floor gazing at the guinea pigs... and drooling. Once she's been shooed downstairs with her tail so far between her legs she could use it as a scarf, she waits till we're out of sight again then helps herself to a bit of sofa. I thought the kids were naughty but this dog is seriously taking the mickey. Bring back Dog Borstal I say and hand me the choke chain.

So I embarked on a massive spring clean yesterday to tackle the puddles of dog hair collecting on my soft furnishings and the trail of sawdust across the bathroom floor, landing and children's rooms. And Nobby is on hutch-erecting duty so we can move our newest family members outside now the sun finally put on an appearance. Nobby doesn't mind: he had a new cordless drill and screwdriver for Christmas so any opportunity to make like Handy Andy and he's well happy. We are planning to take on the garden tomorrow since we haven't actually been in it for more than five minutes since we bought the place. Tiggy's been busy there though and first order of the day will be flipping a coin for dog-poo duty. Nice. I reckon I've done my bit having scrubbed out four toilets and the far reaches of the bin-cupboard yesterday but I know that won't hold much water with his lordship.

See, I did get a treat this week, a night out with my brother to watch Star Wars in 3D. Since it wasn't actually filmed with 3D in mind it wasn't quite as exciting as I'd hoped, but then my previous experience includes all things Pixar animations where stuff flies out of the screen so you feel you can touch it. Sadly Ewan McGregor stayed firmly on the screen , though I wouldn't have minded a feel. (!) But it was good to watch one of my fave flicks again, despite being unable to regard Queen Amidala in a regal light since I discovered her name is French for tonsils. My bruv had only previously seen one film in 3D so he was far more impressed. His first child is still cooking so he's not had my opportunities.

Well its time to take Poppet's temperature again; she's watched two episodes of Dr Who, the film Robots (only 2D, she hates 3D specs), painted my nails turquoise and now declared herself bored. Those Barbies may come in handy after all - some lessons in hair-dressing might pep her up... (insert evil laugh and sound of snipping scissors, mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha)

No comments:

Post a Comment